Search Our Articles and Products

Go Back   Computer Care Center Tech Forum > Operating Systems and software > Windows XP Home and Professional
User Name
Password
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2014, 06:04 AM
Junior Apprentice

Default Make Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 compatible with Avid Media Composer

Summary: What's the best workflow between Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 and Avid? If you are looking for an answer to this question, you may wish to read this post. It displays how to convert Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 footage in format of AVCHD/MP4 to DNxHD .mov, so as to use them in Avid fluently without a glitch.

The Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 is a DSLR-styled super-zoom camera with a 16x / 25-400mm range, a decent-sized 1in sensor and 4k video recording capabilities. Announced in June 2014, The FZ1000 records 1080p at up to 28Mbit/s in AVCHD or MP4 modes. In addition to 1080p50/60, the MP4 modes are 1080p25/30, 720p25/30 and 640x480p25/30. Switch to AVCHD format and the options are 1080p50/60, 1080i50/60 (28 or 17Mbit/s), and 1080p24. Impressively, the FZ1000 can also shoot 1080p at frame rates up to 120fps (100fps in PAL regions).

Users question:
"I work on Mac platform and am having trouble with editing Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 footage in Avid MC 5.5, The source files are MTS clips copied from my boyfriend's FZ1000 camera. I heard that if I wanted to use MTS files in Avid, I had to convert them to a format that is compatible with Avid in advance. If it's true, which program should I use and what format should I convert to? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance."

Our answer:
Yes, it's true. Like most NLEs, Avid can not directly accept separate MTS clips copied from an AVCHD folder without entire folder structure preserved. If you alrealy have loads of loose Lumix FZ1000 MTS files on hand, or for some reason Avid refused working with your AVCHD footage even with entire folder structure main tained, you can consider transcoding Lumix FZ1000 AVCHD MTS file to DNxHD, the native editing codec of Avid.

In order to solve video compatibility between Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 camera and Avid,, you will need to convert Lumix FZ1000 files to best supported format for Avid and Premiere Pro editing software, here we recommend you to download and use Top HD Video Converter for Mac/Windows, which is top HD converter reviewed on the market. It has the ability to convert AVCHD, MTS, M2TS, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, MXF, FLV and other formats to any formats you need. It has many presetted formats for editing software and players, like Avid Meida Composer, Adobe Premiere Pro CC/CS6/CS5, Sony Vegas Pro, Windows movie maker, and FCP X on Mac, iMovie on Mac, etc.

Now, Free download HD Video Converter for Mac/Windows Version

How to import/convert Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 AVCHD MTS files to Avid MC

Step 1. Download and Install HD Video Converter on your computer, Run it and click 'Add File' button to import your Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 AVCHD MTS files.

Step 2. Choose output format for Avid MC
From 'Format' bar, select 'Avid DNxHD (*.mov)' as output format under 'Avid Media Composer' column.

Tips:
1. If you want to combine several Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 video clips into one, please tick the box "Merge" in settings;
2. If you've loaded a number of video clips to do batch conversion, please do remember ticking off 'Apply to All' option before you start.
3. This HD Video Converter also includes the editing function to let you trim, crop, edit audio, add 3D effect, add watermark and subtitles before conversion.

Step 3. Advanced settings (for advanced users)
If you are an advanced user, you can click 'Settings' button and go to 'Profile Settings' window to custom video and audio settings like resolution, video codec, bit rate, frame rate, audio codec, bit rate, sample rate and audio channel.

Step 4. Click the “Convert” button to start converting Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 MTS files for importing to Avid Media Composer with original quality. Just wait some time, when the program finished the MTS to MOV conversion, you can open the 'Open Folder' and get the files, and then you can import converted videos to Avid for editing with native format. Just take a try!

More Readings:

Is Canon Vixia HF G10/G20 AVCHD capable with Avid, Premiere Pro?

Canon R42/R40 workflow in Avid: convert R42/R40 AVCHD to MOV for Avid MC

Convert Canon XF200/XF205 MXF files for editing in Avid MC

Importing AVCHD video files from a Canon VIXIA R500 to Avid

Canon VIXIA AVCHD to FCP (X), Avid, Premiere Pro, Sony Vegas
Old Advertise